Friday, June 01, 2007

Coach

I'm writing this blog entry on a coach with wi-fi, and in doing so: I am tasting the future. I am tasting the future and it tastes good. Cold, metallic and good. This must be how John Logie Baird felt when he watched television before anyone else, pushing at the very boundaries of technology, standing at the very edge of science and peering over the edge into the abyss. Probably with a Grand Designs repeat on More4. I am a 21st Century Fox. I am Robocop. I am James Dyson. I am Levi Roots.
The trouble is I've recently checked the BBC news and facebook (the me-me-me news) so I'm slightly at a loss as what to do.
The coach is taking me from Oxford home to London. You see I've started doing the old switcheroo commute: London to Oxford. Last week I did three days of work experience at a Graphic Design company, which was fun, and kindly they've asked me to come back regularly and in return have offered to give me a small amount of money to help me pay for t-shirts and cider and rent. It sounds like a job, and it is really. It's only two days a week though; I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing. It means a five day weekend, I guess, which is only two days short of the ideal.
Graphic design is surprisingly fun- almost as fun as internet on the bus. Already I've taken a logo from ink-marks to photoshop re-touchery to large prints to mounting and done a small illustration for the cover of a book. It's also a training type position, so I'm learning industry secrets all the time, and when I leave I'll have all the skills to pay the bills.
In preperation for the work experience, I knocked up these logos speculatively for the Brighton based Latenite [sic] Lounging record label as a kind of practice.



Which is nice.

No comments: