Thursday, March 31, 2011

As seen on TV

If you've been watching 'Lily Allen: From Riches to Rags' on Channel 4 (if not, why not?) and reading this blog for the last five years (if not, well, I understand) you may have recognised a framed portrait of a younger Lily as being drawn by a younger me.

There's a lingering shot of it in episode 2 ("The girls hunt for their perfect shop location") which then pans to Lily in the background, possibly trying to leave me a voicemail.


It crops up again in episode 3 ("Opening the shop with a glittering launch night"). This time we can clearly see behind Mary (Queen of Shops) that Lily's print is signed. Not by me though, of course, but by the novelist Nick Hornby. I am indebted to Nick who is clearly happy to sign my work when I'm not around - and I'll be sure scrawl on a couple of copies of High Fidelity next time I'm in Smiths to make up for it.


This story all began back in 2007 when my picture of Lily won a competition for children being run in connection with Nick Hornby's then new novel 'Slam'. This post from back then has more details and plenty of self-conscious witterings, should you be interested.

No comments: